Sunday, February 26, 2017

Vanishing Acts by Jodi Picoult


Delia Hopkins works search and rescue with her dog, Greta. She is engaged and has a young child. Her father is a widower who raised her alone. Her fiancé is a recovering alcoholic and her best friend (and fiancé) have been in her life since childhood. Life seems idyllic but that's about to change.

A knock on the door turns her life upside down, secrets unravel and life for Delia Hopkins is forever changed along with the lives of those she treasures most.

The first time I read this book, many, many years ago, I was neither impressed or unimpressed. It was just another read this time around I found myself much more emotionally vested. Delia captures the relationship between a daughter and father perfectly (or my version of it at least). I had compassion and understood both sides of the stories this time around when previously I took sides and formed opinions quickly.

I did feel that the ending broke down some characters personalities and their reaction would not have been what was written. I felt that Picoult did not stay true to all her characters which was slightly disappointing.





No comments:

Young Rich Widows (The Widows #1) by Kimberly Belle

Young Rich Widows starts off strong! Four partners of a prominent law firm are on a private jet that crashes outside of New York. Four women...