Tuesday, March 10, 2015

If I Stay by Gayle Forman

“I'm not sure this is a world I belong in anymore. I'm not sure that I want to wake up.”
― Gayle Forman,
If I Stay


This book has been sitting in my to be read pile for over a year, maybe more. I just kept moving it down the pile and I have to say, I'm glad I finally took the time to read it.  It actually took no time at all --- just a couple of hours.

The book is narrated by, Mia. She is only 17 years old and one ordinary, February day, her life is changed. She is in a tragic accident and her very own life is suspended in time. She can see everything going on around her but can't communicated with others.

Her corporeal body lays in a hospital, hooked up to tubes. Her life is on the cusp of death and she has to make the choice to stay or leave. A series of flashback moments take you through important parts of her life, the birth of her brother, the moment she decided to play the cello, playing her cello and the relationhips she has with those she cherishes the very most.

The story flows off the pages beautifully and you can almost hear, Mia playing  Yo-Yo Ma's II. Andante con Moto e Poco Rubato From Three Preludes and Beethoven's - Cello Sonata No. 3 in A major, Op. 69. 

Forman weaves a tale of loss, love, heartbreak and life. A emotional read, that will keep you turning the pages.

Grade: A-

No comments:

Young Rich Widows (The Widows #1) by Kimberly Belle

Young Rich Widows starts off strong! Four partners of a prominent law firm are on a private jet that crashes outside of New York. Four women...