Monday, December 15, 2014

Project Paper Doll : The Rules by Stacey Kade

This book sat on my nightstand for 9 weeks! That's right, 9 weeks! I don't know what took me so long to actually read it. I just kept putting it off in favor of other books and I'm glad I finally got around to it because it turned out to be much better than I anticipated.

Ariane Tucker is a human/alien hybrid. She was created in secret, inside of a genetics lab. She escaped and in order to survive she must follow five simple rules set forth by her adoptive father.
The rules are:

            1. Never trust anyone.
            2. Remember they are always searching.
            3. Don't get involved.
            4. Keep your head down.
            5. Don't fall in love.



Ariane is hiding in plain sight, just miles away from where she was tested, tortured and created. For, years everything has been smooth sailing until she starts to break the rules. One broken rule after another leads to a cataclysmic events and not everyone will make it out alive.

Kade has written "Project Paper Doll" from the alternating points. The transitions are smooth and each character has their own voice. The book starts slow and builds up. There are some predictable elements but it doesn't necessarily take away from the story.  The last quarter of the book left me hooked and I look forward to reading the next installment, "The Hunt".

I have only one issue with this book and I can't quite put my finger on it. I feel as though I have read this book before (I haven't) or that I have read something very similar to it. Perhaps it is just an accumulation of novels, I've read. Did anyone else feel this way or is it just me?


Grade: B+


No comments:

Young Rich Widows (The Widows #1) by Kimberly Belle

Young Rich Widows starts off strong! Four partners of a prominent law firm are on a private jet that crashes outside of New York. Four women...