Thursday, April 3, 2014

Reading Joss Whedon by Rhonda Wilcox

I'm not exactly sure where to go with this review. I'm quite fond of, Joss Whedon and I love, Buffy the Vampire Slayer but I didn't love this book. I didn't hate it either, it falls somewhere in between love and hate.

Reading Joss Whedon, is a collection of scholarly essays that focus on the works of, Whedon. The majority of the book focus on BTVS and Angel. Dollhouse, Serenity and Firefly are also discussed in detail.

A lot of interesting and valid points are made however it can become too descriptive, which takes away from the legitimacy of the collective works. Some of the essay's can be rather dry and long winded.

The analysis of episodes and plots can be rather intriguing and entertaining. Some aspects of the book are much stronger than others, which keep you engaged however there are moments where I found myself skimming pages that were flat and dull.

If you're a fan of Joss Whedon, I recommend taking the time to read this book but I strongly suggest that you only read the sections that pertain to your interest. If you love BTVS read that section and if you're "eh" about Serenity or Angel, skip it.

Grade: C+



No comments:

Young Rich Widows (The Widows #1) by Kimberly Belle

Young Rich Widows starts off strong! Four partners of a prominent law firm are on a private jet that crashes outside of New York. Four women...