Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Growing Up Duggar: It's All About Relationships by Jill Duggar, Jinger Duggar, Jessa Duggar and Jana Duggar

Growing Up Duggar hits bookshelves, March 4, 2014




For some unknown reason --- I am fascinated by the Duggars. I don't agree with their life style or many of the choices they make, yet I am interested in knowing what makes them tick. Maybe, I see them as a sociological experiment? 

The Duggars are an extremely devout family, that have set aside many rules, some rather bizarre but it seems to work for them. I can't possibly imagine, my first kiss ever being on my wedding day or having 18 or is it 19 siblings, most who live at home with me. I can't fathom what it is like to be an adult living at home and following all the rules set aside by my parents, on such things as "courting" , employment, school, and the monitoring of my Internet usage and texts. Yet, it seems as though they willingly do so but is it because they are sheltered and have very little to, do with the "real" world or because they are truly happy?

"Growing Up Duggar" gives some insight into what it is like being part of a BIG, religious family. The four eldest females, Jessa, Jill, Jinger and Jana were interviewed by Charlie Richards, the author who penned this book. I'm not sure if it is the writings of this author of the girls personalities, but them seem to all be ONE person. There really isn't any distinction between them. No,expression, voice or personality shinning through. This book is used as an opportunity to answer common questions that the public seeks. 

There are no "Big" reveals that the public isn't aware of ...so this isn't a juicy tell all, if that's what you are looking for.

I was slightly disappointed by this novel --- only in that, I wanted more critical thinking and individualism from Jessa, Jill, Jinger and Jana that I got. It's basically just a rehashing of the core values set up by their parents, biblical references and some personal antidotes. 

This is a sweet and well meaning book but I look forward to the future when they have grown more and left their parents home to see who they really are and who they've become. 

Grade: B-


No comments:

Six Truths and a Life | By Ream Shukairy

Expected Publication Date: March 12, 2024 A Fourth of July bonfire party ends with an explosion and 6 muslin teens behind bars. A person is ...