Saturday, April 25, 2009

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath


I don't always understand why classics are so highly regarded and that is the case with this one.

Yes, it is in part about a decent into madness but it lacks a degree of talent. It is difficult to stay fully focused and have empathy for the character.

I think people often give it excess credit because it is very much a true story of Plath's life. It is neither captivating or memorable.

I have to wonder if maybe I simply can't relate to the character and that is why I found this book to be a rather painful read.

If it wasn't a classic, I would have simply stopped reading it rather than continue in hopes that I would find enthralling.

No comments:

Young Rich Widows (The Widows #1) by Kimberly Belle

Young Rich Widows starts off strong! Four partners of a prominent law firm are on a private jet that crashes outside of New York. Four women...