Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold





Back from vacation.... Time for a review. Sorry for lack of posts.



The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold was a huge disappointment! I'm sorry I even purchased it. I loved her novel, " The Lovely bones" and enjoyed her heartfelt memoir " Lucky" however, Almost Moon made me feel as though I was treading thru mucky water. The Almost Moon was about the life of a women who murders her mother. Her mother is an unpleasant women at best whom suffers from a mental illness but Sebold fails to trap the reader into actually caring about these characters. The book is difficult to read but I turned page after page in hopes that I'd capture some of the passion from her other two books. Sebold fails to deliver. I am in no way bothered by the dark material of this novel because lets face it, "Lucky" and "The Lovely Bones" were not feel good, happy novels. The concept is great but the writing and characters lacked depth. After reading this book, I'll think twice before purchasing another novel by Sebold or wait for paperback.




Grade: D

No comments:

Young Rich Widows (The Widows #1) by Kimberly Belle

Young Rich Widows starts off strong! Four partners of a prominent law firm are on a private jet that crashes outside of New York. Four women...