Tuesday, April 25, 2023

Station Eleven (Television Tie-in): A Novel Audible Logo Audible Audiobook – Unabridged Emily St. John Mandel (Author), Kirsten Potter (Narrator), Random House Audio (Publisher)

 

Station Eleven is one of those books I felt that I NEEDED to read. I've picked it up twice and DNF'd it. I watched the TV series on HBO Max and loved it. I picked up the book again and it just was NOT grabbing my attention. Luckily, my local library had an audio book to check out. Normally audio books aren't my cup of tea. They take much longer to listen to than to read. I get distracted and lose where I am in the book and have to back pedal over and over again. This time .... I was 100% surprised and found myself pleasantly surprised and enjoying an audio book. I was entertained. Before I continue with the review I do have to say that the TV Series and book are quite differe
nt but each story is equally moving. 

Station Eleven takes place during and after a pandemic. The Georgian Flu wipes out 99.6% of the worlds population. Those left behind have to navigate a new world, figure out how to go on living and surviving as the world collapses and the very things we take for granted cease to exist. 

A group of actors travel from one section to another to entertain others with theatre. As they explore we learn about the new society and what people have lost and gained. We learn about the evils of humanity and also how humans can come together and be kind.

My favorite portions of the book took place during the pandemic. The after parts were a bit dull. I can't recommend reading the book but I can recommend listening to it on audio. 


No comments:

Friends, Lovers, and the Big Terrible Thing | by Matthew Perry

The death of Matthew Perry was the first time I cried for a celebrity. I've been saddened before but this one hit hard. Maybe it's b...