Monday, September 15, 2014

After I'm Gone: A Novel by Laura Lippman

 After  I'm Gone is one of those books in which the premise is good but the execution falls short. It is modeled upon the disappearance of a real life, Baltimore gangster who vanished without a trace in the 1970s.

Lippman's character, Felix Brewer is the most interesting character in this entire novel and he is in it the least. The other characters are bland and weak. I really really...struggled to get through this novel and am surprised I continued to read it rather than give up. I guess, I was just hopeful.

Sandy Sanchez is investigating two cold cases. He is investigating the 1976 disapperance of, Felix Brewer and the death of his mistress, Julie. Julie disappeared 10 years after, Felix did and it has been specualted that she had left to be with him but when her body is found in the woods, the investigation takes a different turn. Members of, Felix's family become suspects, false confessions are made and the least likely person is the guilty party.

The plot is overdone, the twists and turns are far from believable and I think, Lippman wanted to wrap up this subpar book more than I wanted it to hurry up and end. Skip this book and pick up something else -- you will thank me for it.

Grade: D














No comments:

Six Truths and a Life | By Ream Shukairy

Expected Publication Date: March 12, 2024 A Fourth of July bonfire party ends with an explosion and 6 muslin teens behind bars. A person is ...