Wednesday, July 20, 2011

A Stolen Life: A Memoir by Jaycee Lee Dugard


Jaycee Dugard isn't what one would call a great writer or even an excellent storyteller however her ability to be honesty and forthcoming more than make up for it.

She is an inspiration. She is a survivor and she is unbelievably strong. She lost 18 years of her life to a horrible, horrible man who abused and degraded her.

This memoir is more than just her "story" but it is also about her ability to overcome --- "move" on and integrated herself and her children into society and out of her tormented backyard world.

This book is a bit difficult to read at time --- due to the material and some of the writing. It is hard to imagine that one person could endure so much.

This book will not be graded.






Overview {B&N]
In the summer of 1991 I was a normal kid. I did normal things. I had friends and a mother who loved me. I was just like you. Until the day my life was stolen.
For eighteen years I was a prisoner. I was an object for someone to use and abuse.
For eighteen years I was not allowed to speak my own name. I became a mother and was forced to be a sister. For eighteen years I survived an impossible situation.
On August 26, 2009, I took my name back. My name is Jaycee Lee Dugard. I don’t think of myself as a victim. I survived.
A Stolen Life is my story—in my own words, in my own way, exactly as I remember it.

No comments:

Young Rich Widows (The Widows #1) by Kimberly Belle

Young Rich Widows starts off strong! Four partners of a prominent law firm are on a private jet that crashes outside of New York. Four women...