Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Girls of Riyadh: A Novel by Rajaa Alsanea


Girls of Riyadh is a so-so book. Nothing too impressive or exciting. I found myself skimming pages out of boredom. This book left me feeling restless and thankful that I had checked it out of the library and not purchased it.

I felt as though something was missing... an important element of some type. I was not enlightened in any way. I wanted a deeper look into the Arab culture and I felt like I didn't even get a hint of insight.

This book left me feeling cheated and irritated. Take a pass on this novel. The write up is by far more interesting than the novel itself.


Grade: D-


Synopsis (B&N)
A bold new voice from Saudi Arabia spins a fascinating Scheherazade-like tale of four young women attempting to navigate the narrow straits between love, desire, fulfillment, and Islamic tradition-for the first time, the hidden world of today's upper-class Saudi women is revealed by an insider.

No comments:

Young Rich Widows (The Widows #1) by Kimberly Belle

Young Rich Widows starts off strong! Four partners of a prominent law firm are on a private jet that crashes outside of New York. Four women...