Saturday, August 15, 2026

Enclave (Razorland, #1) by Ann Aguirre

 

I first read Enclave in 2011 and have been wanting to revisit it for some time now. When I came across an audio book version of it from my library I jumped at the chance to check it out. It felt like a entirely different book. It went from a good book to a great one! It's funny how I used to poo poo audiobooks but now I have found a love for them. 

Enclave follows fifteen year old Deuce who lives underground in an enclave. The enclave she lives in has set roles for its citizens and life expectancy is 20 years top. Life is hard and there is a constant threat of them being overtaken by freaks. Deuce's role is that of a huntress and she is paired with a hunter named Fade who did not grow up in the enclave. She is less than thrilled (and so is he) but as they clear the tunnels together they find respect for one another. They notice more concerning events taking place within the tunnels and when they report it their concerns are dismissed.  

An unexpected event takes place that results in Deuce and Fade being exiled. Deuce is forced to go upside in an effort to survive. Sunlight, buildings and life outside of the enclave is shocking and something she has to adapt to quickly. Fade has to use old memories to help them navigate and survive but dangerous gangs.

I forgot how engrossing and entertaining this book was. It pulls you in from the first sentence and that energy carries you though to the end. The characters are well developed and the way the world has fallen apart yet people fight to survive is heart warming.

 Deuce is quite possibly my favorite character this year. If you haven't read this book (series) yet pick it up and give it a go. 


No comments:

Enclave (Razorland, #1) by Ann Aguirre

  I first read Enclave in 2011 and have been wanting to revisit it for some time now. When I came across an audio book version of it from my...