Friday, November 23, 2018

The Dreamers by Karen Thompson Walker

The Dreamers by Karen Thompson Walker
Release Date: January 15, 2019


I have been not so patiently awaiting a second novel from Karen Thompson Walker since I read
 Age of Miracles in 2012. When I was given the opportunity to read an advance readers copy of The Dreamers, I jumped at the opportunity.  Walker once again tackles a unique and imaginative topic. I was hesitant as the synopsis didn't pull me in but I am glad that I  read it as I was mesmerized from page one. 

It all starts innocently enough a young college student comes down with an illness and returns to her dorm room.  Her roomate, Mei is unable to wake her up and medics are called in. Doctors are perplexed and don't have answers and then another student falls ill. The cases multiple and a quarantine is put into place. The illness targets all ages and races no one is safe. It is determined that those who are in this unwakeable sleep are displaying unusual brain activity, activity that has never been recorded before.

This is a character driven story and is told by a variety of characters. Their point of views help to deliver an exceptionally creative and compulsive read.  It's clever yet not at tantalizing as
Age of Miracles.


* I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for a honest review.


No comments:

Young Rich Widows (The Widows #1) by Kimberly Belle

Young Rich Widows starts off strong! Four partners of a prominent law firm are on a private jet that crashes outside of New York. Four women...