Wednesday, September 4, 2024

Miss Quinces: A Graphic Novel Paperback – by Kat Fajardo


This isn't a book I would normally read but my 10 year old niece spent some time with me (along with her older brother). I took her to the library (she had never been)  and we stumbled across this book and checked it out. We came home and she sat down and read it front to back within hours. She exclaimed that it was the first book she very finished in one day. She then wanted more books and a copy of this one ( I got her one). I think my girl has finally found the bookworm in her! She ended up reading two more books while visiting and taking a few home with her.. 

Miss Quinces is a coming of age graphic novel. It follows Sue (Suyapa). Sue wants nothing more than to join her friends at summer camp but her parents are taking her and her sister to Honduras to visit  family. Sue discovers that her family has planned a Quince for her. She doesn't want one but she makes a deal with her mom. If she can go to summer camp she will have the Quince. Her mom agrees but Sue has to do it the way her mom wants!

Over the course of the graphic novel you get to see the beautiful relationship Sue has with her grandmother (reminded me of the one I had with mine). You also experience Sue's struggles. She is quiet and shy while her family is loud. Sue is different from her family but learning more about her grandmother and spending time with her cousins helps her and her loved ones come to terms with her being a bit different. 

The illustrations add a lot to the story and are beautiful. There are some cultural differences in how  Quinces are done in the US and Mexico vs. Honduras but it doesn't take away from the story. Miss Quince tackles a variety of subjects including grief which made me incredibly emotional. This is a must read for all! I'll be buying it for all the young girls in my life. 

No comments:

Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1) by Charlaine Harris

I read Dead Until Dark back in December of 2008. While browsing Libby I came across an audio version of the book and figured I'd revisit...