Wednesday, February 21, 2024

If He Had Been with Me by Laura Nowlin


Autumn and Finn have know each other their entire lives. They are neighbors and their mothers are best friends. Autumn and Finn were once best friends but middle school changed that. They started hanging out with different groups of friends and having lives completely different that once another's. Despite this Autumn has always longed for her friendship with Finn and their story is told in flashbacks. 

If He Had Been with Me is a beautiful and heartbreaking story. Be prepared to read this in on sitting. The emotions are raw and I was able to insert myself into the role of Autumn and re-experience aspects of my youth. Autumn is not always likable character and her tiaras drove me absolutely insane but it doesn't take away from the story.

I do like that the book starts with the end and gives you what built up to it. It's a different way to tell a story and Nowlin has managed to do it successfully


No comments:

Friends, Lovers, and the Big Terrible Thing | by Matthew Perry

The death of Matthew Perry was the first time I cried for a celebrity. I've been saddened before but this one hit hard. Maybe it's b...