Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin



Elsewhere is a book I like to revisit for time to time. I pulled it out every few years and find that I each time I enjoy it more than the previous year. I used to embarrassed that I like this little book so much but I no longer am.

Elsewhere is were you end up after death. Liz is only 15 years old when she finds herself on a ship on the way to Elsewhere. She arrives to Elsewhere to be greeted by her grandmother. In Elsewhere one ages backwards until it's time to be released. 

Liz has a bit of trouble adjusting to life in Elsewhere. She is angry (understandably) and spends a lot of time on the observation decks looking at her family and friends back home. Eventually she stops going to the decks and finds a way to live. 

I love the relationships, Liz builds and even her teen angst. My most favorite moments are the animals in Elsewhere . The lead to many emotional moments.  This book is a perfect little gem and a memorable read. 


No comments:

Friends, Lovers, and the Big Terrible Thing | by Matthew Perry

The death of Matthew Perry was the first time I cried for a celebrity. I've been saddened before but this one hit hard. Maybe it's b...