Friday, June 5, 2020

Open Book by Jessica Simpson


Whew! Where do, I even start? I keep pushing this review back, mainly because ... I don't like Jessica Simpson. Hell, I didn't even know who she was until she married, Nick Lachey.

When they first came into our homes via the idiot box, I thought she was sweet, naïve and wholesome. I never quite bought her ditzy bit, only because I've sadly seen women do the bit in an effort to be "cute" and "needy".

She was a bit preachy in her, I stayed a virgin until I got married (later on she rotates beds and men like they were a new commodity) and I am the good Christian girl. I was hoping this book would redeem her and make me a fan again alas it did not.

She is an "open book" but she always kind has been, so her opening her life up to us - isn't anything new but she does share some tidbits that were surprising however you don't need to read the book to find out because they have already been released to the media such as her sexual abuse, alcoholism, promiscuity, drug abuse, plastic surgery and her struggles with weight.

She tosses every single man in her life (with the exception of her husband, to a degree) under the bus, and plays the victim card. She's clingy with men and rather than take accountability she blames them over and over again.

Her relationship with Nick Lachy accounts for about a very small portion of the book. Jessica seems to think she'd be who she is today without Nick and that's far from the truth. Her relationship with Nick and her marriage is what made her a house hold name.

Jessica is still the spoiled brat that Nick married. I was hoping to see different side of her but she lacks self awareness and maturity. She talks about being "free" but she isn't. She is incredibly dependent on her family and husband.

She encourages women of all sizes by words but not actions. She spends a lot of time trying to be body positive for other women but her actions of diet pills, constant plastic surgery and the need to be thinner contradict her.  

I wouldn't recommend purchasing the book but I would suggest checking it out at the library of borrowing a copy if your interested in reading it. 


No comments:

Before We Were Strangers by Renee Carlino

 Grace and Matt met during their senior year at NYU. They became quick friends, formed a strong bond and feel in love. College graduation, c...