Thursday, June 20, 2024

The Women by Kristin Hannah

 

Books about war are usually something I avoid. They just make me too angry, emotional and sad. They are too real but TheWomen was recommended to me over and over again. I decided to give it a try and it did make me angry, emotional and sad but it also took me on a reading journey that was worthy of my time. 

The Women takes places during the Vietnam ear. It follows Frances "Frankie" McGrath. She is a very young and sheltered 20 year woman. Frankie's much loved brother heads off to Vietnam and Frankie decides to follow him by joining the Army Nurse Corps. 

Frankie quickly learns that she is ill prepared to be a nurse in Vietnam and that life in Vietnam isn't being reported back truthfully to the American people. Frankie quickly forges close friendships that happen in time of chaos and need.  She holds the hands of dying soldiers and learns to do extensive medical techniques that might save lives. Everyday is a battle and some days they are full of blood and death. 

Frankie forms deep and loving relationships with those she works side by side. People who understand what she is going through. Some of them will help Frankie navigate life after Vietnam. Returning back to CA if difficult to say the least. Frankie struggles to find her place among her family, friends and society.  

The Women spans over 20 years of friendship and love. It's an incredibly emotional read. Frankie is a believable character and someone you'll want to both protect an shout at! The pacing is quick when it needs to be and slows down as needed.  Frankie is an unforgettable character and her story will move you. 


No comments:

Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1) by Charlaine Harris

I read Dead Until Dark back in December of 2008. While browsing Libby I came across an audio version of the book and figured I'd revisit...