Wednesday, November 15, 2023

Speak | by Laurie Halse Anderson

I first read Speak when it came out  in 1999. Before I was blogging! I was a different person than and living a completely different life. This book had a much more emotional toll on me this time around. 

Melinda is a freshmen at Merryweather High School. At a summer party after being raped she called  911. She did not report the rape and as a result of calling 911 and busting the party up she was quickly made into an outcast. She was left lonely and with no friends resulting. Melinda stops speaking however an art class she is taking is helping her deal with being rape. 

Speak is an emotional and powerful read. You can feel Melinda's pain radiating through the page. This book should be read with caution in mind . 

No comments:

Friends, Lovers, and the Big Terrible Thing | by Matthew Perry

The death of Matthew Perry was the first time I cried for a celebrity. I've been saddened before but this one hit hard. Maybe it's b...