Monday, August 7, 2023

Life As We Knew It | by Susan Beth Pfeffer

There are some books and series you revisit every few years. Life As We Knew It is one of those for me. I am not sure what attracts me to it. It's a bit depressing and I am not even sure if the cataclysmic event that occurs could happen. I do know that I like the characters and the writing style.

Miranda is a teen age girl living with her mom and little brother when an astroid his the moon, damaging it, pushing it closer to earth and causing catastrophic events to occur all over earth. Miranda uses her journal to keep track of what is happening in her life and to the life of others. The descriptions of what is occurring are chilling. The race to collect supplies remind me slightly of the first few weeks of Covid when there was chaos and people were in a rush to get food and cleaning supplies before going into lockdown. 

Miranda's journaling is her outlet and her friend. She lays it all out even the ugly parts as her and her family struggle to survive. This is a coming of age book that will keep you engrossed. 

I listened to the audiobook this time and the narrator is engrossing. Book or audio will keep you engrossed. The ending leaves you wanting more. 

No comments:

Friends, Lovers, and the Big Terrible Thing | by Matthew Perry

The death of Matthew Perry was the first time I cried for a celebrity. I've been saddened before but this one hit hard. Maybe it's b...