Monday, January 16, 2023

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

 

After reading, Lynn Painter's, The Do Over I had a faint recollection of reading Before I Fall and was compelled to revisit it. This is the REVIEW of it back in 2015.  

Popular girl, Samantha Kingston is doomed to repeat February 12th over and over again.  Each new day is told in a new chapter for a total of seven chapters. Will, Samantha make the right choice or will she be doomed to repeat the same mistakes. Samantha and her group of friends are mean girls and on Cupid's Day, a day that students send one another flowers and each girl wants to be the one who collects the most roses and is thus the most popular. 

This custom brought me back to my High School days in which something similar happened with carnations. I remember the times I got some and the times I didn't. Receiving one created euphoric feelings and not receiving one was brutal. I remember feeling crushed, ugly and unwanted. I don't remember anyone being made fun of for not getting one but maybe that's because more people didn't get one then did. It this something schools still do? I hope not.

Samantha's character undergoes a massive change as the story progresses and turns into someone more likable. The story is heavy and you can feel the emotions of characters bleeding through the pages. This is a book you don't want to miss out on. The movie does not do it justice.






No comments:

Friends, Lovers, and the Big Terrible Thing | by Matthew Perry

The death of Matthew Perry was the first time I cried for a celebrity. I've been saddened before but this one hit hard. Maybe it's b...