Friday, August 26, 2022

Flowers in the Attic (Dollanganger #1) by V.C. Andrews

 I first read Flowers in the Attic at a young age. I was way too young to be reading it. I must admit at the time I didn't understand some of what was going on. I read it in secret. I was embarrassed and ashamed and thought that I was reading something "dirty". I pilfered it from my aunt along with quite a few more VC Andrews books. I always returned them and I am pretty sure she knew it was me borrowing books I was way too young to read. We were both the readers in the family and since I was being raised by my grandparents, it's likely she saw me as the little sister who was born 23 years later. Re-reading it has brought back a lot of memories and a deeper understanding of what was going on. 

If you are not familiar with Flowers in the Attic, where have you been? There are two movies based on it! There are 4 more movies on the rest of the series. Badly done movies, but movies! 

Flowers in the Attic is about a family in peril.  A family whom outwardly appeared perfect. A beautiful mother, handsome father and four lovely children. After a tragic accident takes the life of the father, the family is left with no financial means to support themselves. The mother, Corrine writes letters to her parents who long ago disinherited her. She begs for permission to return to the family home. Permission is given and Corrine and her four children, Cathy, Chris, Carrie and Cory head out in the darkness of the night to the mansion. Upon arrival the four children and sequestered to a room and told they must stay there for a few days. Eventually, the days turn to weeks, months and years. 

Time locked up together causes the children to bond. A bond that will change the course of their lives forever. 

This book isn't a masterpiece. It never was but it a guilty pleasure read. It is still creepy but as an adult so much sadder than in my youth. 




No comments:

Before We Were Strangers by Renee Carlino

 Grace and Matt met during their senior year at NYU. They became quick friends, formed a strong bond and feel in love. College graduation, c...