Friday, September 11, 2020

The Cabin at the End of the World by Paul Tremblay

The Cabin at the End of the World starts of strong and the premise is intriguing. It was initially right up my alley  but then .... it kinda feel apart. It became too wordy and it felt as though Tremblay was trying to hard to fill space. The story itself could be cut in half and make a phenomenal novella! 

This book starts off with cute little Wren playing with grasshoppers, then turns into a horror show in which, Wren and her two fathers, Andrew and Eric are being held hostage by four people who are "the four horsemen of the apocalypse".

Sounds, phenomenal right? It was but then .... then pacing and the word fluff was offsetting. I was expecting to be frightened, as we are in the midst of a a pandemic but instead I found myself pushing through the novel to get to the end. The end left me wanting to pound my head into the wall. 

I understand the purpose of the end and why Tremblay chose to end it in that matter but I didn't like it.  Oddly enough I can see this book working as a movie and it would be one of those rare cases in which the movie is better than the book. 

Don't discount this read because the idea behind it is great, just prepare yourself for some lag and frustration and some heartbreak.





No comments:

Before We Were Strangers by Renee Carlino

 Grace and Matt met during their senior year at NYU. They became quick friends, formed a strong bond and feel in love. College graduation, c...