Saturday, May 2, 2020

The Institute by Stephen King

The Institute is a hefty 576  pages but the read is so engaging it feels like a relatively short read. This book is very much "old school" King. The characters are well developed and the story flows off the pages. 

I am not sure where to start. There is so much going on in this book and all of it is interesting. I don' t want to give anything away but I will say this there is a lot of pop culture in this book and some references to his old characters/books. I loved finding these hidden "Easter eggs."

This book feels like a look into the past, it has an old school feel to it. The characters are not modern day, which I simply adore. I am a bit over modern day "teen speak." This is a novel about kids, adult monsters (but not like vampires, more like Josef Mangele), secrecy and the lengths people go to harbor them, while others fight to survive.

The story starts out with Tim Jamieson and who trades his plane ticket for some cash and hits the road, eventually finding himself in a peculiar little town. You get into his story and then it kinda falls off the page because Luke enters the picture. Luke is a rather precious twelve year old boy who one day finds himself waking up in a room that looks like his but isn't. He is in, The Institute.  He meets Kalisha who introduces him to the other kids who are all prisoners and required to take tests.

From here on the story unravels and just about when I forgot about Tim, he reenters the picture and the worlds collide. 

I loved and hated characters and then .... I found myself at a standstill wondering if I was cheering for the right side to "win.". 

This is on ending that does not disappoint. Pick it up today and get ready to go on a dark, twisty, fork in the road kinda read. 




No comments:

Young Rich Widows (The Widows #1) by Kimberly Belle

Young Rich Widows starts off strong! Four partners of a prominent law firm are on a private jet that crashes outside of New York. Four women...