Sunday, February 16, 2020

The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult

I am still re-reading Jodi Picoult's books in the order they were published. I am finally on, The Storyteller which is one of my favorite novels of hers. 

Sage Singer is a baker who works at night. She is an introvert, grieving her mothers death and having an affair with a married man. Her life is lonely but she strikes up an unusual friendship with an elderly man named Josef. 

Josef asks, Sage to kill him. He confesses he was a former SS member who worked at Auschwitz and can no longer go on living with the memories of what he did. Sage is shocked and dismayed by this confession and conflicted as her grandmother is a Holocaust survivor.

Sage reaches out to The Justice Department and Leo, a Nazi Hunter is assigned to the case.  Together Sage and Leo are able to get Minka, Sage's Grandmother to tell about her experience during the Holocaust. It is incredibly moving and emotional. This is the BEST part of novel. Picoult pulls your into her writing and puts you on an emotional roller coaster.

This book has always stayed with me and I am sure it will stay with you too.


No comments:

Friends, Lovers, and the Big Terrible Thing | by Matthew Perry

The death of Matthew Perry was the first time I cried for a celebrity. I've been saddened before but this one hit hard. Maybe it's b...