Thursday, December 26, 2019

Know My Name: A Memoir by Chanel Miller

Ever heard of Brock Turner? The Stanford University rapist? Wonder what happened to his victim, Chanel Miller? If so, pick up this book because it's her story. Chanel takes you through the traumatic events from before the rape, the rape, after the rape and the disappointing aftermath and weak verdict handed down by the, Judge.

Chanel gives a voice to victims before and after her. She gets her own justice by telling her story. I was moved by her emotions and while this book is well written, I often found myself rushing over passages and pages because it become wordy and long winded. The last 50 pages or so took power away from her story, she attempted to become a part of the #metoo movement and while it's an important one, it caused a distraction from the overall feel of the book.


No comments:

Friends, Lovers, and the Big Terrible Thing | by Matthew Perry

The death of Matthew Perry was the first time I cried for a celebrity. I've been saddened before but this one hit hard. Maybe it's b...