Monday, September 5, 2011

Shine by Lauren Myracle


Shine gives an all to realistic look into small town life and intolerance. Cat's friend, Patrick is in the hospital, hanging on to his life by a thread. He is a victim of a hate crime.

The investigation into his attack is stalled and Cat takes it upon herself to find out who hurt, Patrick. She uncovers hidden secrets among those she loves and those of residents in her tiny town.

Myracle does a great job at portraying her character's as real people rather than stereotypical small town people. This book is suspenseful and compelling.

However, something is missing and I can't quite put my finger to it. I was never fully engrossed with it despite how well thought out the story is. My only guess is that I never became fully invested in her characters.

Despite this --- I found myself quickly turning pages and awaiting a semi- predictable ending.

Grade: B-

No comments:

Friends, Lovers, and the Big Terrible Thing | by Matthew Perry

The death of Matthew Perry was the first time I cried for a celebrity. I've been saddened before but this one hit hard. Maybe it's b...